The University of Maryland Extension (UME) has a fantastic “Grow It Eat It” program. This year, they have declared 2016 as the Year of the Tomato. To celebrate this popular veggie, they created a site devoted to learning more about growing, harvesting, and preserving/canning tomatoes, http://extension.umd.edu/growit/2016-year-tomato. The site has a variety of resources: a list of local UME offices, contact information for Maryland’s gardening experts, and the list of the Master Gardener plant clinics for getting answers to tomato problems. It also has a link to their Youtube playlist of tomato information; recommended cultivars; winners of the 2015 tomato tasting events; and tomato-related articles on the Grow It Eat It blog. Although this is a UME resource, the information is applicable to those of us who live in the Mid-Atlantic area so Virginia and DC residents can enjoy the bounty. If you ever wanted to grow tomatoes successfully, now is the time!
- Support National Pollinator Week: Plant Trees for Pollinators
- This Week is National Pollinator Week: Learn How to Support Vital Pollinators
- Happy Father’s Day! Enjoy a Bouquet of Summer Blooming Bulbs
- Register to Learn How to Grow and Use 13 Culinary Herbs
- Native, Deer-resistant, Summer-flowering: What More Can You Want in a Shrub?
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
follow me on Instagram