The University of Maryland Extension (UME) has a fantastic “Grow It Eat It” program. This year, they have declared 2016 as the Year of the Tomato. To celebrate this popular veggie, they created a site devoted to learning more about growing, harvesting, and preserving/canning tomatoes, http://extension.umd.edu/growit/2016-year-tomato. The site has a variety of resources: a list of local UME offices, contact information for Maryland’s gardening experts, and the list of the Master Gardener plant clinics for getting answers to tomato problems. It also has a link to their Youtube playlist of tomato information; recommended cultivars; winners of the 2015 tomato tasting events; and tomato-related articles on the Grow It Eat It blog. Although this is a UME resource, the information is applicable to those of us who live in the Mid-Atlantic area so Virginia and DC residents can enjoy the bounty. If you ever wanted to grow tomatoes successfully, now is the time!
- Petite Jenny’s Lavender-Rose Flowers Sway Like a Calder Mobile
- Over a Dozen Gardening Events This Weekend in the Washington DC Metro Area
- Time to Register for the Arlington/Alexandria Master Gardener Program
- Garden Bloggers Bloom Day: Bleeding Heart
- DC Water’s Bloom: Recycling Biosolids Into Soil Conditioner
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets