For Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, try planting Double Take Orange Storm, which is a type of quince shrub marketed by Proven Winners (Chaenomeles speciosa). It is has large, orange double flowers but no fruit. I have had mine for five years and it blooms reliably in the spring, can tolerate our Virginia heat, and can take full sun or morning sun and afternoon shade. It is supposed to be deer resistant but I do not have enough deer to testify to that. The way the flowers appear before a lot of foliage and so close to the stem make it a great cut flower for oriental type flower arrangements or for forcing earlier in the spring.
- Support National Pollinator Week: Plant Trees for Pollinators
- This Week is National Pollinator Week: Learn How to Support Vital Pollinators
- Happy Father’s Day! Enjoy a Bouquet of Summer Blooming Bulbs
- Register to Learn How to Grow and Use 13 Culinary Herbs
- Native, Deer-resistant, Summer-flowering: What More Can You Want in a Shrub?
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
follow me on Instagram